Dr Carrie Shield
(B. 1890 – D. 1928)
At St Margaret’s 1906 - 1907
Dr Carrie Shield from Bundaberg attended St Margaret’s from 1908. She studied medicine at Melbourne University between 1913 and 1917 and upon graduation, etched her name in St Margaret’s history as the school’s first doctor.
After graduating Dr Shield worked at the Children’s and General Hospitals in Brisbane and as a locum doctor. Shortly afterwards she took an appointment at a hospital and quarantine station in Lytton, handling an epidemic of pneumonic influenza. When an influenza hospital was established at the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds, she later took an appointment there.
Dr Shield’s career achievements in the medical profession were significant during a time when there were very few female doctors.